Getting a new roof is an expensive investment on a commercial building, which is why you need to know how to keep your roofing warranty valid. A trustworthy roofing company will offer regular inspections and maintenance services to keep your roof under warranty. Since new roofs and renovations come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and materials, look for a reputable, professional, and Colorado Springs local roofing company that offers a warranty that protects the life of a roof. If the roofing company you choose is willing to install a new roof or do a renovation but does not offer a warranty for that work, consider it a red flag.
3 Steps to Take Before Getting a New Roof or Renovation That Can Help with a Roof WarrantyThe single most important thing a building owner can do for any roof warranty is schedule regular roof maintenance. This should include documentation that validates regular maintenance has been performed. There are additional steps building owners can take prior to the roof replacement or renovation, such as:
- Find a quality roofer. If you see a company offering a deal that seems too good to be true and at a rate drastically under what the competition offers, find out why. More often than not, companies that offer rock-bottom prices do so because they are missing important elements of a good roofer, such as high levels of craftsmanship, guaranteed work, and quality assurance. Choose a roofer that offers decades of expertise as well as a high degree of credibility within the industry.
- Ask what types of warranties the roofing company offers. A good professional roofing company will offer a variety of options for installations and renovations. Be sure to verify which types of systems come with which warranty options. If you are unsure where to start, ask what warranties they offer for TPO (Thermoplastic Polyolefin), Single Ply, Metal, PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride), Fluid Applied, EPDM (Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer), Built Up Gravel, Modified Bitumen, and APP (Atactic Polypropylene) roofing systems.
- Confirm which products the company is certified to install. Reputable roofing companies should be certified to install products from at least half a dozen manufacturers.
How to Keep Your Roofing Warranty ValidBy taking the above steps before having a new roof installed or a roof renovation done, building owners can better protect themselves and their new system. When wondering how to keep your roofing warranty valid after installation and renovation, there are several key areas that are nonnegotiable for building owners:
- Roof Inspections
- Roof Leak Repairs
- Roof Maintenance
Roof Inspections Can Help Keep Your Roofing Warranty Valid
The most common question we get from commercial building owners that have a new roof system or renovation in place is, “If I have a new roof, why do I need to have it inspected?” The answer is simple—to keep your roofing warranty valid.
For example, if a severe weather system with heavy winds and hail rolls through the area and sends debris flying into the roof, it could create a weak spot or hole that could become the source of a leak when rain arrives. This is typically not the failure of a new roof or renovation so much as the effect of natural environmental influences. Without an inspection, the damage would not be found for some time, leading to a more complex and expensive fix in the future. The longer that damage is unattended the worse the consequences.
A solid roof inspection process should include:
- Core sample assessments.
This involves roofing experts collecting core samples of the roof to learn more about the system’s moisture content, tensile strength, and physical properties. Infrared scans. Infrared thermography can be a useful tool in identifying the amount of moisture content in a system. Catching trapped moisture in a roofing system early is critical for determining the health of a roof.
Although some leaks may be more obvious, others can be harder to find in flat or low slope systems. Tramex Moisture Scanners help professionals find the source of a leak more quickly.
Getting Repairs Done in a Timely Manner Helps Keep a Roofing Warranty Valid
The Role of Roof Maintenance in Keeping Your Roof Warranty ValidThe primary elements of roof maintenance should include:
- Inspection of pipe boots for wear and tear
- Removal of debris from drains and gutters
- Identification of animal droppings or related damage
- Examination of caulking and flashing